A good night’s sleep requires a quiet room, comfortable bed and a soft pillow. While sleeping, we spent 6 to 8 hours with a pillow being closest to our face. So, it is a must for us to know if the pillow that we are using, is good for our health and sleep or not.
Best organic pillows are a reliable choice to make if you care about both your health and sleep.
Materials used in Pillows
Pillows are filled with various materials to meet the comfort level of the sleeper and provide a sound sleep. Different people like and prefer different materials like:
✔Cotton ✔Polyester ✔Buckwheat ✔Lamb-Wool ✔Latex ✔Kapok ✔Ball-fiber ✔Memory foam ✔Micro-fiber ✔Feathers
Some of these materials are organic and some are synthetic, processed and modified.
Organic pillows are those whose fillings are
Organic pillows are made up of materials that come from farming method or other processes. They do not involve the use of toxic chemicals, fertilizers, and pesticides. These materials are eco-friendly and do not use hormones, ionization radiation or drugs.
Organic pillows are considered to be the best pillows as far as health is concerned. Best organic pillows are the top priority in today’s market. Many companies are using organic materials for pillows. This is because people are now very health-conscious.
Organic Materials Used in Pillows
The best organic pillows that use organic materials include:
Cotton is grown without the use of any chemicals or pesticides. Cotton has a natural tendency to remain cool in summers and cozy in winters. It has an ability to absorb moisture to provide a dry and comfortable sleep in sweaty nights as well. The clean and fresh smell of cotton makes it safe and healthy to use.
Organic latex is used with a percentage of 97 in organic pillows. It is a material that provides essential support and comfort to the body and is used as a cure for body pains. Latex is a firm material and it doesn’t give sinking feeling to the sleeper. It also gives a cooling effect and is well- ventilated, which makes it best summer pillow.
Wool is a natural resistant to harmful microbes, dust mites, mildew and molds. It can be used in a humid place or near a fireplace as well. It can be washed and dried easily. It ensures superior quality as it is taken directly from local sheep.
Buckwheat pillows have been used by Japanese from centuries. Organic buckwheat is used in pillows to keep head in a proper shape. This material allows air circulation through the pillow and keeps the pillow cool. It is durable and it doesn’t collapse like other pillows.
Kapok is a tropical tree that is known to produce seed pods with attached cotton-like fibers. These cotton-like fibers are stuffed in the pillows. These fibers are silkier and softer than cotton. Mixed with latex, these fibers are used to make down filled pillows.
Features of the Best Organic Pillows
Below are some salient features of the best organic pillow. If you are someone who is anxiously looking for an organic pillow, this will help.
· Eco-friendly and certified
An organic pillow comes with certification that the material used in this pillow is eco-friendly . It certifies that it doesn’t contain any harmful or toxic chemicals, fertilizers, pesticides or drugs. Organic pillows have various certifications like Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS), Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certification for cotton etc.
The organic pillows which are eco-friendly and chemical free are also hypoallergenic. They are safe to use any do not cause any kind of allergies. The best organic material used should be dirt, mite and dust resistant.
· Support and comfort
A pillow is always use to provide support to the body and get a comfortable sleep. An organic pillow should also provide complete support to head, neck and spine. Thus the body posture becomes ideal to get sound sleep.
· Biodegradable and recyclable
Best organic pillows contain materials like cotton, wool, buckwheat, latex that are biodegradable and recyclable. The materials those break down or decomposed under bacterial action are biodegradable. They are not harmful for the environment.
Organic materials like cotton, wool and kapok is long lasting and durable. They can be used for a long time and are easy to maintain.
· Removable organic cotton cover
An organic pillow has a removable cover made of 100% organic cotton. This makes the cover breathable and hypoallergenic. This removable cover is washable and increases the life of the organic pillow.
Best Organic Pillows
- This pillow is filled with 100% natural and organic latex.
- It has a unique pin-core design to provide a comfortable sleep.
- It offers a resilient supportive, bouncy, cradling effect that makes them ideal for anyone suffering from head, neck, back or spinal pain.
- It keeps the pillow well ventilated and provides a cooling effect for a comfortable sleep at hot nights.
- It has got the moisture-wicking ability.
- This latex pillow is made from 100% Natural plant-based ingredients and doesn’t contain memory foam, synthetic latex, off gassing or toxic chemicals.
- This pillow is hypoallergenic. It resists dust mite and mill dew to prevent odor. It naturally prevents the growth of harmful bacteria. It is allergen-free and great for skin sensitive sleepers.
- It has a high quality, 100% cotton fabric removable and machine washable zippered cover.
- It is available in 3 sizes. Standard 25 x 16 x 5.5 inches, Queen 30 x 16 x 5 inches and King 34 x 16 x 6 inches.
- The pillow weighs about 4.06 pounds.
- This amazing pillow comes with various filling options like 100% Organic Buckwheat Hulls, 100% Organic Millet Hulls, or a mix of Buckwheat Hulls and French Lavender.
- This pillow provides an uncompromising support and pressure, which results in reduced back, neck and leg pain. It also eliminates scoliosis and posture induced headaches.
- It keeps the pillow cool by circulating the air through it.
- This buckwheat pillow has got moisture control fibers that allow moisture to reach the surface quicker. Hence, the moisture evaporates faster.
- The inner shell is made of 100% cotton.
- The pillow is available in various sizes. Traditional Japanese 14 x 20 inches, American Standard Size 20x 26 inches, Kids Size 10 x 14 inches and Neck Roll 17x 6 inches.
- There is a variety of premium pillowcases available. Bamboo Rayon, High Performance, Cool Touch, Cotton, Bamboo Rayon matrix design, and Unbleached Cotton Twill.
- The pillowcases are breathable and dustproof.
- All of the pillowcases come with a machine washable YKK zipper. You can remove or add filling material to achieve the perfect pillow height for your body.
- The pillow weighs about 10.3 pounds.
- This organic pillow is filled with 100% organic cotton and Kapok material.
- It has a luxurious 500 thread count.
- The pillow is soft like a down pillow and firm enough not to give a sinking and bottom out feeling.
- It is silky and lightweight.
- It provides great support to the head, back, neck and spine.
- It has non-toxic, petroleum free material.
- The pillow is hypoallergenic.
- It’s size measures about 20x26x6 inches.
- It weighs about 2 pounds.
- It has an adjustable filling to get the desired height of the pillow.
- It has removable cotton zippered cover shell.
- It is certified from Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).
- This pillow is filled with 100% organic latex.
- It has an ergonomic contour design which is great for side and back sleepers. It helps correctly align spine by supporting the natural curves of your head, neck, & shoulders.
- This pillow has a high loft. The contour height of 4 inches or 5 inches based on positioning customizes your neck comfort.
- The head is cradled with 3 inches of breathable foam.
- The pillow measures lowest side 4 inches, middle side 3.5 inches and highest side 5 inches.
- This pillow is organic and chemical free. It is made from eco-harvested rubber trees using the Dunlop production process.
- It is a hypoallergenic pillow with no off-gassing and dust mites, bacteria, bugs and mold resistance.
- The outer cover is made of 100% organic cotton.
- The pillow weighs about 4 pounds.
- This pillow has a removable and washable zipper cover.
- This pillow holds 2 major certifications. GOLS Certified Organic Latex and GOTS Certified Organic Cover.
- This pillow is filled with 100% organic Buckwheat Hulls.
- This material is capable to provide relief from some common sleeping problems like tension, stress, muscular pain, stiff neck, and headache.
- It adjusts perfectly under the head, providing complete support to the head, neck and whole body.
- The Buckwheat pillow never collapses like a foam pillow.
- It gives the sleeper a cooling effect by allowing the air to circulate through it.
- The size of the pillow measures about 30x20x3.5 inches.
- It weighs about 10 pounds.
- No pesticides, herbicides or additives are used in it.
- The pillow is odorless.
- The adjustable zipper cover allows to adjust the height of the pillow.
- The removable cover is made of 100% unbleached cotton fabric.
- This pillow is filled with 30% white goose down and 70% white goose feathers.
- It has a double stitching and self-piping that prevents the down and feathers leakage.
- This feather pillow provides a deep and comfortable sleep like a baby.
- The outer cover is made of 100% cotton with 233 thread count.
- It comes with a set of 2 pillows.
- It is a great pillow that provides perfect straight posture to the body.
- The standard pillow measures 20x26x5.8 inches.
- It weighs 5.09 pounds.
- The pillow is hypoallergenic.
- The pillow is washable but dry cleaning is preferred.
Drawbacks of Synthetic, In-Organic and Processed Pillow Materials
Following are a few reasons why you should avoid using synthetic, processed and in-organic pillow and turn to the organic pillows.
The non-organic, processed and synthetic materials of pillows cause different kinds of allergies in many people.
Sleeping with a synthetic and processed pillow causes itchy eyes, irritated skin, or even respiratory problems.
In some cases, eczema has been found linked to being in contact with modified and processed cotton.
The biggest problem with the non-organic materials like cotton is the chemical sprays that are used. These toxic dyes, chemicals, and additives that are added during the manufacture of the filling material is hazardous for health.
• Low Immune System
The in-organic and processed filling material is a constant danger for immune system. You need to purchase organic cotton or latex for infants and toddlers who have low immune systems.
• Water Pollution
The farming and manufacture of in-organic and processed materials for filling a pillow use chemicals and toxins. When these chemicals are thrown out from the factories, these chemicals get into the water nearby and cause water pollution.
The pesticides and chemical sprays that are used for the growth and manufacturing of in-organic filling material, have been proven to decrease the fertility of the soil and dry the land.