When it comes to sleep we take a lot of time to decide how and what kind of mattress we buy & the pillows to add to the comfort but what is most overlooked are the pillowcases.
We don’t spend much time and energy to decide on the pillowcases. Don’t we all use the pillowcases that comes with the standard sheets?
Why are pillowcases necessary?
Not all pillows are washable. Using them without pillow covers will release sweat, dead skin and moisture from your body making it dirty after regular use. This reduces the life of the pillow.
It is important to have a pillowcase to the pillows for extra protection. You can wash them on a regular basis and change the covers frequently.
Pillowcase is a direct contact to your hair and skin. It can be a unique experience with the different fabric and quality of your pillowcases.
They come in different sizes, designs, fabrics and materials.
Pillow cases fabrics are generally cotton, linen, satin, silk, bamboo and polyester/nylon. Below is why (and why not) each fabric should be your preferred choice:
The most common and popular pillowcase materials is cotton.
- Soft & Breathable
- Cotton absorbs heat making it cooler to sleep on
- Less Expensive
- Widely available
- Because of its absorbent property, it can absorb moisture from your skin making it dry. This can lead to sleep creases/wrinkles.
- Shrinks and wrinkles easily after wash
- Less Durable
- Thicker than cotton hence more durable
- Light weight and breathable
- Generally cold so ideal for summers
- Environment friendly & Bio degradable
- High quality fabric so may not be cost effective
- Initially rough but softens gradually after wash
- Wrinkles after wash
Microfiber is a man-made artificial fabric. Nylon, polyester and wood pulp come under microfibers. They are made from ultra-thin and fine fibers that don’t grow naturally.
- Cheaper than cotton and other natural fibers
- Tightly woven so air doesn’t pass though them. Ideal in cold climate.
- Easy to maintain
- Holds colour very well therefore variety of styles and colours of polyester/nylon pillowcases are available
- Not breathable so makes you feel hot
- Not recommended for people with sensitive skin
- Artificially made so not biodegradable & environment friendly
Silk is a natural fiber produced by silkworms. It is soft and feels really good on the skin therefore gives a cool and comfortable sleep environment.
- Amazing skin benefits. Likely to cause less face wrinkles when compared to others fabrics
- 100% breathable
- Prevents hair for tangles and frizz
- Naturally hypoallergenic – Good for people with allergies as it repels dust mites and bacteria
- Does not dry your skin and keeps the night moisturizer on.
- Luxury material hence expensive
- Special care has to be taken when washed. Preferably hand washed
- The slippery feeling of the fabric is not preferred by all
Satin is similar to Silk in texture and feel – soft and smooth. It has similar benefits like silk. When compared to silk which is natural, satin was originally produced as a weave using silk fibers to make it extra shiny and smooth. Today it can be achieved artificially using man made synthetic fibers.
- More affordable than silk
- Easier to clean
- Softer on skin
- Reduces frizz and maintains moisture in the hair
- Involves synthetic materials
- Dense so not very breathable
- Silky feel might be a No-No to some
If you are wondering whats the best choice – we would definitely recommend Cotton(Organic) & Silk fabrics owing to its various benefits.